What is it?
The chain is the basis of your crochet piece, without it you cannot start on your project. To make a chain you need to master the slip knot and chain stitch.
Where do you start?
1. First, watch the video tutorial!
2. Before being able to make a basic chain that will hold your piece, you need to make a slip knot on your hook. There are many ways to do this, but in the tutorial we show you a knot that we like to use.
3. Now, you are ready to start building the foundation of your crochet piece. Determine the right number of chain stitches. Your pattern will tell you this.
4. Make sure to hold the yarn and hook correctly (“knife hold”). Hold the crochet hook in one hand, and the end of the yarn that leads back to your ball of yarn in the other.
5. Then, wrap the end of the yarn around the hook. Start from behind the hook, until the yarn rests beneath the hook itself.
6. To begin the chain stitch, pull the yarn and the hook through the slip knot, drawing along the yarn. This is your first chain and you created the next loop of yarn to continue with your chain.
7. Repeat the chain, until you've chained the correct number of chain stitches.
Crochet: Making a Chain
What is it?